Sunday, July 10, 2005

Not the last, and not a samurai ...


Continuing with my recent tradition of blogging in arrears ... nearly two months ago I accompanied Satoko and some of her (female) family members on a visit to the shrine for the selection of our wedding day kimonos, and a hakama (man's formal skirt) for me.

Now, I had previously vowed not to dress up in Japanese kit until my Japanese language ability was good enough to, for instance, explain to a Japanese person why I was wearing their traditional costume. However, if someone does ask me this on my wedding day, I'm pretty sure I can communiate the bleedin' obvious!

Of course, I tried on only 2 options, and let the girls decide which one was best. Satoko on the other hand tried at least 5 kimono - and it takes some time to tie the intricate knots involved. Revealing which one she chose will have to wait until the big day itself.

What I will reveal is that to accompany her kimono she has a small knife, a small box - both tucked away somewhere secret - and a fan. Now, imagine my furled brow upon finding out that I get only the fan. No katana (sword); not even a stout stick. I'm not sure what she plans to cut off and put in the box, but she'll need more than the fan to cool down afterwards if it involves me!

2 comments:

DelBoy said...

Hi Nick,

Japan sounds like an awesome place! Hanging to come and see it. Anyway, when's the big day? Nervous? (I would be - little knife????)

sicklittlemonkey said...

Japan is very interesting - it should be on your hit list if you can afford it. No such thing as a cheap holiday here.

The big day is Saturday the 10th of September. Less than 2 months to overcome my fear of the little knife ...

Cheers,
Nick.