Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'm a country member


Well, I've found a reason to blog again, which I'll get around to actually blogging about soon. In the meantime, see above for a visual résumé of my worldly exploits courtesy of this very cool little webapp at World 66. You can save either the resulting GIF picture, or a link which encodes your travelling conquests.

It's a nice idea done well, but it could do with some improvement in granularity. Visiting 5 states of the US has convinced me that it's a bit like a large collection of countries - certainly in size as the map shows. There's a lot of red there I haven't visited yet, like Alaska. The same could be said for Australia I suppose.

Anyway, friends reading this, feel free to leave a comment with a link to your map. I'm pretty sure Zeal will be hard to beat. Here's what you should put in your comment: copy the example below, but replace "USATBECZFRDEGRNLCHUKIDJPPHTWTHAUFJNZ" with the similar stream of letters from the text box you see below your map on World66.

Note: I've broken the example up to make it more readable here, but there should be NO spaces or line-breaks inside the link. That's the bit inside quotation marks: "http://..."

Example:
My map is <a href="http://www.world66.com/
myworld66/visitedCountries/worldmap?visited=
USATBECZFRDEGRNLCHUKIDJPPHTWTHAUFJNZ">
here</a>.

The comment will show as:
My map is here.

13 comments:

puddle titan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
puddle titan said...

My map is truly pathetic. And it notes all of Australia, when I have only touched town in Sydney airport for like 2 hours.

That's a big, fat, whopping, Brobdignagian 1.0%.

Beat that . . .

sicklittlemonkey said...

Yes, years ago Zeal and I discussed some ground rules for this sort of map-based pissing contest. The ones I can remember were:

(1) Visited as an adult. (Or under one's own steam, as it were. I omitted Malawi.)
(2) Stayed at least one night.

Others too that Zeal may remember ... PT should really be stripped of his Australian conquest ... leaving him equal with that bald patriot Fool, who reluctantly left NZ only the once.

queen victoria said...

i haven't been very many places really, just the same ones over and over again

sicklittlemonkey said...

Ooh, that looks good though. Just step into Canada and all of North America is yours. Nice.

I almost wish Taiwan and China would shake hands just so the mainland would light up for me.

DelBoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DelBoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DelBoy said...

Last attempt at this. This is the first time in ages that I'm checking out your blog. Below is the link to my map is
here
.

37 countries (16%)
(I've only been to Miami and Ft Lauderdale in the States though!)

sicklittlemonkey said...

Nice of you to drop by Del!

Sorry it's been a while. Your blog looks great! Google has almost gone overboard with all that Web 2.0 goodness - I must convert to the new templates soon.

The map link you gave is still not right, unfortunately. Another way to get the correct URL is to right click on your world map image and choose "Properties". In either Firefox or IE the URL can be copied there.

I actually don't know if this works for member maps as I haven't joined, but I'm guessing it will. Check for the country codes in the link - the long list of capital letters at the end.

Cheers,
Nick.

DelBoy said...

Thanks for the compliment Nick. My map doesn't come up with the letters, so I've linked it to a different page
here
.

Anonymous said...

Hi!Nick:
You are lucky to have traveled lots of countries.Wish one day I could have been as many as you've done. Ann ,Taiwan

Zoe and Craig said...

Hey Nick,
Cool WebApp! I'll paste the link to my map below.
Craig
here

sicklittlemonkey said...

Ann: Thanks - you should post a link to your travel map. ;-)

Craig: Impressive! I think Del still has you beat. Wish Zeal had gotten around to posting his.