Sunday, January 09, 2005

Bittersweet


Happy new year, everyone - wherever you are. This year brought me and Satoko (pictured center) both joy and sadness. The tsunami disaster in Asia seemed to sour xmas a little, but we were busy preparing to visit her parents in Ibaraki prefecture, an hour or so north of Tokyo. All went well: her father got me to date the letter I'd written to him and his wife (correcting my oversight of "make [Satoko] happy in the future" to "... forever") and then he shook my hand. Easier than buying a horse.

On our return to Tokyo, things got a little more grim. Chris (pictured right) had been on a boat with his girlfriend leaving Kho Phi Phi about 9:30am local time. Luckily the boat made it over the 4 meter wave they encountered, and after laughing nervously they continued making their way back to Tokyo, where they discovered the enormity of what they had so narrowly avoided.

Sadly, Shione-chan (pictured left) was due to catch the 9:30 boat from Kho Phi Phi, and was checking out of her beachfront hotel when the first wave hit. Her Indian boyfriend survived the ensuing chaos, and spent 2 days looking for her before being evacuated because of his injuries. I know this is just one of 150,000 sad stories, but this really brought it home for me. These things often seem to happen to those who least deserve it, and I'll always remember this lovely girl, and her cute Irish accent when she spoke English.

So enjoy your new year of life, and don't forget to donate to your charity of choice.

No comments: